Professional Education Services Group
Web Sites Covered
- PESG's (www.pesgce.com) main Web site for physicians and other health care professionals provides access to our continuing education offerings, as well as our innovative online evaluation/certificate processing center. However, this site is also open to non-professionals.
- Professionaledservices.com (www.professionaledservices.com) is a secondary Web site used by PESG to house our educational offerings, and is serviced and provided by an outsourced server "farm." Professionals who participate in one of these offerings is linked back to PESG to complete the posttest/evaluation, and to print their certificate upon successful completion of all CME requirements.
Information We Collect
Information We Collect from Unregistered Visitors:
Visitors to each of our Web sites can access the Web site’s home page, and browse many of the areas of the site, without disclosing any personally identifiable information. We may choose to track information provided by your browser, including the Web site that you came from (known as the “referring URL”), the type of browser that you use, the type of operating system on your computer, the time and date of access, and other information that does not personally identify you. On most of our sites, you must register in order to access some of the more sensitive areas of the site.
Information We Collect from Registered Visitors:
Professionals registering for services on our Web sites are asked to provide us with identifying information, such as name, gender, contact information, and other identifying information. On our registration screen, we clearly label which information is required for registration, and which information is optional and may be given at your discretion. Professionals must register in order to access the evaluation/posttest/certificate processing center of our educational Web sites.
Information from Outside Sources:
We may also choose to collect information about professionals who register on our Web sites from other sources in order to verify their licensure status and identity. In some cases, we may ask customers for information after they register, such as credit card information. Where necessary (for example, to process an order for a purchase), our Web sites may contact financial or credit organizations to confirm customer credit cards.
In addition, we may gather information about you that is automatically collected by our Web server, such as your IP address and domain name. PESG may use this information to personalize its offerings and presentations to you, facilitate your movement throughout our Web sites, provide personalized services, and to communicate with you individually.
- Discussion Boards: When you are using a discussion board on one of our Web sites, you are posting a message and your username, which is available for all registered users to see. When you are posting publicly, any user of our Web site can see your message. You should not post any information that you want to keep private to a discussion board or other public forum on our Web sites. PESG will not be responsible for the dissemination of your personal information through discussion boards on our site.
- Additional Forms and Emails: We may also ask you to provide additional information after you register if you want to obtain additional services or information, or to resolve complaints or concerns.
Continuing Medical Education
When you register for a continuing medical education (CME) or continuing education (CE) activity through one of our Web sites, we collect certain personally identifiable information from you such as your name, email address, and mailing address. If you are a pharmacist and wish to receive credit, you may also be asked to provide the state in which you are licensed and your license number. In addition to personally identifiable information, we collect aggregate non-personally identifiable information about the activities undertaken by our users. We use the information that we collect through CME/CE activities in several ways:
- PESG is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. As an ACCME provider, we are required to periodically submit aggregated data about CME participants and the CME activities we certify. We also provide personally identifiable information to other accredited CME/CE providers who may certify CME/CE activities in conjunction with PESG, as required by the ACCME and other accrediting bodies. These reports may include personally identifiable information about you and credits issued to you, for the purpose of maintaining records that you can request from the accredited provider for up to six (6) years
- Commercial supporters of CME/CE activities on our Web sites may also receive only aggregated data about CME/CE activities that are relevant to their interests and/or the courses that they support
- PESG Customer Service Staff will have internal access to files containing personally identifiable information, including evaluation forms and aggregated CME/CE participant information. These files can be accessed in order to respond to your questions or comments. Our staff may also use personally identifiable information, including registration information and evaluation data, in assessing educational needs and planning marketing activities
Your Web browser can be set to allow you to control whether you will accept cookies, reject cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is sent to you. If your browser is set to reject cookies, Web sites that are cookie enabled will not recognize you when you return to the Web site, and some Web site functionality may be lost. The Help section of your browser will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting cookies.
Although cookies do not normally contain personally identifiable information, if you are a registered user we may associate your registration information with cookies our Web site places on your computer's hard drive. Associating a cookie with your registration data allows us to offer increased personalization and functionality. For example, you can elect to have our Web sites "remember" your user name and password and bypass the sign-in process on each visit to the site. Without cookies, this functionality would not be possible.
PESG's Web sites are designed and intended for use by adults, and are not intended for, nor designed to be used by children under the age of 18.
Use We Make of Information
We create aggregate data about visitors to our Web sites for product development and improvement activities. We also use it for market analysis. We may provide information from our Web sites in aggregate form, with identifying information removed, to third parties. For example, we may tell a health care partner what percentage of our registered users reside in a particular geographical area. When aggregated health information is provided, we pool it from many individual records and strip it of any data that could be used to identify an individual before it is used. Any third party that receives aggregated health care data must agree not to attempt to re-identify the people it belongs to.
Marketing and Advertising
We may target our internal PESG advertising or marketing depending on information we have about you. For example, a user we know is a woman may receive advertising for products targeted at women that a male user will not see, or a user that we know is a healthcare professional who treats diabetes may receive advertising for new diabetes therapies.
We may also personalize our Web site based on your interests. For example, you may see different courses/articles in different places on our Web site based on information you have shared with us, or information we have gained by observing your previous behavior, or information we may have gained from your interactions with a third party that shares information with us. We use information for our own internal marketing, research, and related purposes.
In addition to aggregate information (discussed previously), we may share some kinds of information with third parties as described below.
If we discover that a third party inadvertently disclosed personal information about any of our customers, we will take immediate action to prevent further occurrences.
- Other Companies: We have strategic relationships with other companies who offer products and services on our Web sites. When you are interacting with those companies, different rules and privacy policies may apply. We do not control the collection or use of information you provide under those circumstances, but we do require that those companies clearly state their policies so you can decide whether to give them any information.
- Companies and People Who Work for Us: PESG may choose to contract with other companies and individuals to help us provide services. For example, we may host some of our Web sites on another company's computers, hire technical consultants to maintain our Web-based health tools, or work with companies to remove repetitive information from customer lists, analyze data, provide marketing assistance, and provide customer service. In addition, if you are a healthcare professional, we may validate your licensure status and other information against available databases that list licensed health care professionals. In order to perform their jobs, these other companies may have limited access to some of the personal information we maintain about our users. We require all such companies to comply with the terms of our privacy policies, to limit their access to any personal information to the minimum necessary to perform their obligations, and not to use the information they may access for purposes other than fulfilling their responsibilities to us. We use our best efforts to limit the use of other companies in areas where personally identifiable healthcare information may be involved.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of customers promoting the availability of additional educational offerings. We provide a variety of mechanisms for you to tell us you do not want to receive such promotional offers. For example, we may provide an opt-in box for consumers to receive an email from another business, and we make clear that by opting in you are submitting your data to a third party.
- Legal Requirements: We may release account and other personal information when we believe release is required to comply with law. When we share information with third parties, we ask that they agree in writing to abide by PESG's privacy policies.
Other than the cases described above, PESG will not release personally identifiable information to a third party without the customer's consent.
Protection of Information
We have implemented technology and security policies, rules and other measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from unauthorized access, improper use, alteration, unlawful or accidental destruction, and accidental loss. We also protect your information by requiring that all our employees and others who have access to or are associated with the processing of your data respect your confidentiality.
PESG uses security methods to determine the identity of its registered users, so that appropriate rights and restrictions can be enforced for that user. Reliable verification of user identity is called authentication. PESG uses both passwords and usernames to authenticate users. Users are responsible for maintaining their own passwords.
Storage of Information
Information in our data centers is backed up routinely, in order to aid in the recovery of information in the event of accidental damage of information or due to a natural disaster. The backup media is stored in a physically secure storage facility.
Access to Information and Choices
Correction of Information We Have About You
If you believe that non-medical registration information collected by our Web site(s) is in error, you may edit your personal profile any time that you like. You can directly edit your user profile on our pesgce.com site. Requests for deletion of your record may result in your removal from the registry, but we may keep certain demographic information about you for product improvement purposes. You may contact Web Customer Support and ask for the changes that you would like to make.
PESG employees are required to keep customer information private, as a condition of their employment with the company. Only selected, authorized PESG employees are permitted to access your information.
Privacy Questions or Concerns about One of Our Web Sites
For privacy questions or concerns about one of PESG’s Web sites, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revision date: This policy was last updated on March 12, 2004.